The iconic base associated with Captain Robert Falcon Scott’s British Antarctic (Terra Nova) Expedition 1910–1913 and his second, and final, heroic attempt for the Geographic South Pole. The expedition gave rise to some of the most inspirational and harrowing stories associated with polar history. Michael Palin has described it as “one of the great memorials to exploration anywhere on Earth”.
Image shape and size
This is the base associated with Carsten Borchgrevink’s British Antarctic (Southern Cross) Expedition 1898 – 1900 and later, Scott’s Northern Party expedition (1911). The site is notable not only for its role in the discovery of Antarctica but also as the only example left of humanity’s first building on any continent.
Wordie (HSM 62) (65°15’S, 64°16’W) ‘Base F (Wordie House)’ on Winter Island, Argentine Islands. Of historical importance as an example of an early British scientific research station. It was established in January 1947 as (Base F) ‘Argentine Islands’ and the main hut, ‘Wordie House’, was named after the chief scientist on Ernest Shackleton’s epic 1914–17 expedition.
Stonington(HSM 64) (68°11’S, 67°00’W) ‘Base E’ on Stonington Island, Marguerite Bay, western Graham Land. The base was established in February 1946 and had two periods of operation from 1946–50 and 1960–75 when the base permanently closed. The famous polar explorer Sir Vivian Fuchs was the Base Commander in 1948 and 1949.
Port Lockroy is on Goudier Island (64º49’S, 63º30’W) in the Antarctic Peninsula. Following a conservation survey in 1994, British ‘Base A’ – Port Lockroy was recognised for its historical importance and designated as Historic Site and Monument No. 61 under the Antarctic Treaty.
Horseshoe (HSM 63)(67°48’S, 67°18’W) ‘Base Y’ on Horseshoe Island, Marguerite Bay, western Graham Land. It was established in March 1955 and closed in August 1960. The scientific research carried out at the station included topographic survey, geology and meteorology.
Detaille (HSM 83)(66°52’S, 66°38’W) Base “W” was established in 1956 as a British science base primarily for survey, geology and meteorology and to contribute to the IGY in 1957.
Damoy (HSM 84) (64° 49’S, 63°31’W) The site consists of a well-preserved hut and the scientific equipment and other artefacts inside it. The hut was erected in 1973 and used for a number of years as a British summer air facility and transit station for scientific personnel.
A colony of Adélie penguins and chicks.
Robert Falcon Scott’s Terra Nova Hut, Cape Evans Antarctica, September 2013